University of California, Berkeley – Haas School of Business
Full-time MBA program – Application essays
- If you could choose one song that expresses who you are, what is it and why? (250 words maximum)
Your song can be in any language, from any culture, and does not need to contain lyrics. The strongest responses will focus on answering why this song expresses who you are.
- Please respond to one of the following prompts: (250 words maximum)
- Describe an experience that has fundamentally changed the way you see the world and how it transformed you.
- Describe a time when you were challenged by perspectives different from your own and how you responded.
- Describe a difficult decision you have made and why it was challenging.
In your response, clearly indicate to which prompt (1, 2, or 3) you are responding. We do not have a preference among the prompts and suggest that you select the one for which you can share a specific experience, professional or personal.
- Tell us about your career plans. How have your past experiences prepared you to achieve these goals? How will Berkeley-Haas help you? (500 words maximum)
You are encouraged to reflect on what it is you want to do after business school, including the types of roles, responsibilities, and organizations that are of interest. Through this essay we hope to learn about your professional journey to date and how an MBA will facilitate your success – broadly defined – in the future.
- If you have not provided a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, please explain. If not applicable, enter N/A.
- Use this essay to share information that is not presented elsewhere in the application, for example:
- Explanation of employment gaps or academic aberrations
- Quantitative abilities
- For re-applicants, improvements to your candidacy